Sunday 17 October 2010

Wax Trax!: My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult.


And our Wax Trax! week continues. Moving along, moving along ...

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult (or TKK, if one doesn't care to type all that out over and over again, such as yours truly) began life in 1986 when Frankie Nardiello, lighting technician for Ministry's Twitch tour (damn, what a great album that was!), sat down with Al Jourgensen himself and wrote a few songs for an independent film he wanted to make. Nothing much came of the collaboration, but one of the songs, "Thrill Kill Kult," sparked his imagination. He ended up hooking up with his buddy Marston Daley and started piecing together his ideas for the film, which he wanted to call Hammerhead Housewife and the Thrill Kill Kult. (Goddamn, I would have loved to have seen that film.) While the movie itself never got made, the soundtrack they had recorded for it proved to have such an appealing quality to it that Wax Trax! Records took note and released it as an EP (WAX 039) in 1988. Voilá, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult was born.

Nardiello changed his name to Groovie Mann, and Daley changed his to Buzz McCoy, and they named their new band after their first EP, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult. Their debut full-length album, I See Good Spirits and I See Bad Spirits, followed shortly after, and the rest, as they say, is history. Some Have To Dance ... Some Have To Kill, Confessions ... Of A Knife, Sexplosion!, 13 Above The Night, and many more albums and EPs were to follow - TKK is still busy recording, touring, and spreading their nasty, sleazy, psycho-sexual disco mayhem all over the place.

I would like to showcase today one of their strongest tracks, off of their 1990 sophomore album Confessions of a Knife... (WAX 7089), the one and only "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan." That's one thing I've always loved about TKK - their usage of satanic images and phrases in their music. True, the lyrics themselves were never terribly overt in their blasphemy, but that didn't stop the right-wing Christian groups from despising TKK. Which is just fine with me - it's fun to piss those people off.

Here are two versions of "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan." The first is probably the most WTF - full of violence, nudity, debasing sexual acts, and, yes, Satan His Own Bad Self. Did I mention that it's NSFW? Oh, hell yes it's NSFW. But enjoy. The version of the song is the one that appears on the album. The second version is essentially the edited version (cut down to 4:20, haha), and the video is taken from a bunch of those old educational videos from the 60's and 70's. "I live for drugs, I live for drugs ... it's great, it's great." Which video do you prefer? Let me know!

my life with the thrill kill kult
"a daisy chain 4 satan"
confessions of a knife...


No comments: